.

Monday 7 May 2012

Why is it so hard to do what's good for us?


It struck me this morning that if I did everything that I suggested to people when they ask for some advice, I'd be the healthiest person in the world! (I'm not, by the way)


But I'm not the unhealthiest person either. Thinking about this some more, I saw that it's never as simple as doing what you're told, or even doing what I know is good for me.
   I've realised that it's not even as simple as doing what I've already decided to do...


The shocking truth (and it is a shock to discover it again and again) is that with all the will in the world, I can't decide to be a healthier or happier person - I need something else to help me along the way.


This week, I thought we'd revisit some of the tried and tested methods that we use at getfit.com That don't include willpower - you might call this "other power" as they rely on things other than yourself.


The Bribe / The Bet / The Buddy

Creating some positive social pressure can make things more interesting.

For example I have a friend who bet a mate that he would lose 2 stone by his birthday - if he didn't, he would wear a tube top out on his birthday. Needless to say - he lost the weight. But there are less extreme examples that this....

The Bribe - is about getting something that you want - from someone who is supportive of your efforts

The Bet - is about the pain of defeat or the sweet taste of victory, a competitive friend /frenemy is ideal

The Buddy - just telling other people about your plans makes you 30% more likely to suceed - but only tell the people you could label a "cheer leader", keep it quite from those you might call "the nagger"


Bring some awareness to it - but don't react

So often it's easy to just react to the day....

The stressful situation at work kicks of the thought "here we go again.... they always do this"
That thought is not nice - you could say it feels like a hot poker - you've got to get rid of this feeling
Instinctively you reach for something that will distract you from that feeling - a biscuit, a cigarette,
sometimes you don't even have time to react and instead you just ignore that feeling and it festers.

By the end of the day (or the week) you feel horrible and end up using food, alcohol or something else as a coping mechanism to get you feeling "back to normal"
There is an alternative - it's not a quick fix, but it does get easier with practice....

When that event happens, take 3 minutes out of your day - stop.
Notice your breathing
Notice your body (your feet, legs, back, shoulders, arms, neck & head)
Notice how you feel (don't let your mind take over on this - stick with the feeling)
Notice what thoughts you are having (treat them as you would a cloud passing in the sky - there is no need to engage with your thought at this stage.

Holding all of your experience lightly, just tell yourself that it's ok, that this is my experience and I can feel it fully.

Take the last 1 minute just to stick with your breathing, however it is, and be aware of your entire experience.

Don't tell yourself what you must or mustn't do - just act as you feel you should with a new awareness of how you are feeling.

Both of these techniques are used through the GetFit Health Coach program.
Along with a personal health assessment and lifestyle analysis there are six programs to help tackle healthy eating, being more active, worrying, problems with sleep, low mood and stress management.

No comments:

Post a Comment